Tonight starts the first night of Hanukkah. MyShopAngel would like to wish all of those who celebrate; to have a Happy Hanukkah. This festive holiday last for 8 days to symbolize the 8 days the Menorah lasted for The Maccabees during their rebellion. These 8 days are consisted of many things including feasts, music, games, gifts, stories and a lot of celebration. Times like these in history are reminders to celebrate our diversity and enjoy the important things in life.
Some of the more common known information about Hanukkah is that people of the Jewish community gather to eat, exchange gifts, light the Menorah and play with dreidels. But Hanukkah is also a time to reflect on why the holiday came to be and to celebrate the events that happened. The main story includes The Maccabees and how the sacred oils miraculously stayed lit for 8 days during the revolt. This being the basis behind many of the traditions held during Hanukkah.
8 Fun facts about Hanukkah
• Hanukkah is also called the Festival of Lights, and the Feast of Dedication
• The tallest candle on the Menorah is called the Shamash and is used to light all of the other candles.
• Oil based cuisine and friend foods like doughnuts are commonly eaten as celebration for the sacred oil.
• Spinning of the dreidel was originally done by kids to pretend they were gambling during surprise raids, when they were really studying the Torah.
• Going through the 8 nights of Hanukkah, the Menorah will typically burn through 44 candles.
• About 17.5 million doughnuts are eaten in Israel during Hanukkah.
• Gelt is the Yiddish word for money and also the name commonly used for the chocolate coins eaten during the holiday.
• Candles are lit from right to left to follow the direction Hebrew is read.
We hope you all have a wonderful week full of fun, food and family. Happy Hanukkah and Happy Holidays to all from MyShopAngel.